Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat May 26 02:08:43 2007

I have something similar (only I bought three of these and I bought them
with the USB and with the Firewire interface).

I don't use my computer that is connected to the scanner for much else
than photography. In fact, I don't use it for anything else other than
photography.

1) On my internal harddisk I have a folder called Vuescan. Under it I
have a folder for each month of a year: January2002, January2003,
January2004 etc, etc. Just simply chronology.

2) I scan or dump digital files into one of those folders.

3) I use Lightroom to Import files from one of the folders to the
Lightroom homebase on the external Western Digital drive:

MyDoc>Vuescan>May2007 -> WDExternal>PhotoArchive>Photos>May2007

After every scan run I start up Lightroom and export. It ignores the
duplicates so I just have to remember to change the source folder at the
beginning of each month (both for dumping scans and files into and for
Lighroom's import)

4) I copy everything from WDExt/PhotoArchive to another WDExt2

I am very seriously considering (have almost decided) a transition from
a Windows environment to an iMac. As far as I can understand this will
be fairly painless since Lightroom runs on Macintosh and I can just set
up Lightroom to point at the external drives.

Besides all of this, I just keep buying the second or third largest
drive on the market.

Daniel