Subject: [Leica] IMG: SundayShot
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Sun May 27 18:11:02 2007

Memorial Day, 2007...... One Saturday afternoon several weeks ago I
was driving along Route 16 on Maryland's Eastern Shore on my way to
Taylor's Island where I planed to watch work boats and take pictures.
As I drove through the tiny town of Madison which is just a few miles
to the west of Taylor's Island the late afternoon sunlight and
shadows in the grave yard of a very old United Methodist church
caught my eye. I stopped to take a look around. I came across this
scene. The church is old. That much I could tell from the glass in
the windows How old it is I don't know. The church isn't wealthy. It
has no running water and no parish hall, not that these things matter
as far as worship is concerned. The cemetery is in need of some
repair. The incongruity of this cross among all the old stones struck
me.

Memorial day is a day for reflection and remembrance of those who
have gone before us, particularly for those whom have given their
lives in the defense of the freedoms that we enjoy in the United
States of America, as well as elsewhere. As I was thinking about this
the following image came back to my mind. I don't know the story of
Baby Willey. I wish I did. What I do know is that someone cared very
much. Baby Willey's marker had been very carefully made from a PVC
fence post. His name had been placed on it using the kind of
inexpensive self adhesive letters available at almost any hardware
store. It has no other details. No date of birth. No date of death.
No short, sentimental cliche which is almost obligatory in these
circumstances. That Baby Willey existed is what mattered. Perhaps the
same can be said of love. All that matters is that it exists. The
details are of little importance.

Someone loved Baby Willey  enough to make this crucifix for him. They
loved him enough so that they wanted him remembered and enough so
that they wanted what life he had celebrated. I doubt that they had
the resources for what richer people would call a proper head stone.
But, they didn't let that stop them. They did the best they could
with what they had at hand. I took this picture because it said
something to me about love, life, and caring. I thought that Memorial
day would be a good time to share it. What I wish for each and every
on of us on this Memorial day is that we will hold in our hearts and
minds people we care about as much as the person who erected this
memorial cared about Baby Willey.

Please, take some time to remember this weekend.

Barney

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Barney/Baby_Willey.jpg.html

Comments and Criticisms Welcome!

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] IMG: SundayShot)