Subject: [Leica] Compact Camera Conundrum
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Jun 5 05:30:56 2007

Gary,

That focal length reach 28-200 is pretty amazing. Particularly
considering the small size of the camera.

I searched for info on the Sigma DP1 last night. That sounds like what
I'm looking for longer term. But since there's no firm release date yet
(and I probably wouldn't buy one until after it's been out for a while)
I need to get something to hold me over. Small is good because it's
always nice to have a pocketable camera. Right now I need a camera I can
take with me everywhere.

Lately I've been on a printing craze. That's inspired me to photograph.
I set up my R800 with 3 MIS Ebony carts to print BW, using QTR. The
concept is that you don't need dilute black inks with the new 1.5
Picoliter printers. But you do need to use multiple channels to avoid
things like banding (which can happen with black only and a single
cart). I'm so impressed by the results that I've been generating
printing like mad. Best thing about the printing is that it's been
simple, economical, and the resulting BW's are neutral, rich and
archival. It's a solution I've been searching for since I took down my
darkroom. With the R800 I'm limited to 8.5 X 11, but that's OK for now.
It means I don't need a huge file or a super camera. Ergonomics and
functionality take priority over image quality. (I can't believe I'm
saying that, but it's true!) :-)

DaveR