Subject: [Leica] stock agencies
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Jun 6 15:01:17 2007

At 05:38 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>Are you pretty happy with Almay?  I'm looking for a stock agency and would
>like any words of wisdom you may have....
>
>Thanks
>
>Leo

Hi, Leo -  Happy is certainly relative ;-)  Alamy has almost 10
million photos so getting your's noticed in the millions of others is
the problem. Alamy has been working and reworking a ranking system to
make the best photos show up first in any searches.  The main
problems I have with Alamy are that they have a lot of royalty free
images that show up first in most searches ( they have arranged it so
RF is first and then every third photo until they run out), agencies
are bad about keyword spamming so their photos show up in every
search, and Alamy, in order to compete with the microstock agencies,
offers huge discounts to buyers.

Other than that, Alamy is the easiest agency to submit to and they
are about to make it much easier with online uploading of
photos.  I've always had an FTP account since I signed up when they
first started, but most Alamy contributors have to send CDs or DVDs
of their images to England and wait weeks for approval. Quality
control has gotten really, really strict and whole submissions are
rejected if they find any dust or retouching or interpolation
artifacts.  On the other hand, you get to keep 65% and most other
agencies are now well below 50%.  You do all of your own keywording,
but I'd rather do that anyway.  I still don't understand how someone
else could keyword my photos when only I know where, what, why, when,
who, and how!

Alamy doesn't do a great job with licensing and I'm now in a dispute
with National Geographic and Alamy over one of my rights-managed
photos that was used by NG as a free download on their website.  It
seems that Alamy sold them those rights without realizing that it was
a RM photo. With all of that said, I sell more through Alamy than any
other agency and wouldn't hesitate to send them more photos (which
I'm doing at the rate of 100 a week)!

Hope this helps!

Tina

Tina Manley