Subject: Was RE: [Leica] Darkroom (Nova "trays") now Epson printers
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jun 8 00:20:50 2007

Daniel, I will sound like an agent for Epson here (and I suppose I have
bought a new one every few years like a good consumer).
However the ABW mode on the latest models, using original inks, produces
marvellously neutral and smooth bw prints. The neutrality
is confirmed by some analysis as published on-line. I'm guessing that you
read the "Digitalblackandwhitetheprint" yahoo group.
Extensive discussions and references on this.

I just got the 3800 and am extremely impressed with both the colour and bw
on good cotton rag papers (Crane Museo silver rag and
Hahnemuhle photo rag). I have it all profiled and am ecstatic at the
usability and results. In fact locally you can also cheaply
obtain bw profiles as well for softproofing the ABW or RIP output. My R800
is now being retired, once I use as much of the remaining
ink as practical (ie the first cart that I have no spare for, runs out!).

Cheers
Hoppy