Subject: [Leica] two kids
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Jun 18 00:23:35 2007

Steve:  You have some fantastic pictures from Navaholand, but I think your
lab is serving you ill here.  It looks like they scanned at excessively
high contrast, and with sharpening not only turned on, but way up.  The
good news is that the images on film are probably OK.

You might want to take your best negs (or are they slides?) to another lab
and have them done better.  I always tell the lab to "preserve highlight
detail, don't jack up the contrast, and keep sharpening low or off."  (the
latter depending on who is running the machine).  In other words, scan like
VueScan, not like for typical consumer prints.  Then I fix 'em up in my
image editor.

What kind of film did you use?

--Peter

At 08:40 PM 6/17/2007 -0700, Hoppy wrote:
>Steve, cute kids, more than nice light and colour.
>I really like the "lines" shot. Marvellous scenic.
>
>Sorry for a brief tech diversion;
>Something's going on here regarding
>film/scanning/sharpening/post-processing.
>A grain effect across these just seems more prominent than I would expect.
>I don't see it at all in close examination of your "Old Navajo" in BW.

Steve posted:

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] two kids)