Subject: [Leica] IMG: Portrait of Orion
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Jun 19 04:05:52 2007

This is a portrait of my 8 yrs old son Orion, shot yesterday evening:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Didier/color/orion_nikkor.jpg.html

The reason why I post it is that I am positively surprised about the special
character of the lens I used. It's a beaten LTM Nikkor 2.0/50mm I bought
very cheap last year. It has has some minor, hardly noticeable haze, the
barrels are very brassed and the aperture ring gets stiff above f8.

After some B&W test shots I was rather deceived - too much glow around
highlights, and not much contrast. I thought I would have it CLA'd by John
van Stelten one day and almost forgot it.

For luck I didn't sent it in. Yesterday I gave it another chance, in color.
The sun was already gone but the sky still bright and the light soft and
diffused. I shot that wide open portrait of Orion with the R-D1s, one meter
distance, one picture only (because Orion hates being photographed, and I'm
very glad he exceptionally smiled).

After I opened the RAW file on the computer, I felt like having found a
pearl in a mushroom. This lens has a unique, very natural (and thus
oldfashioned) color rendering, and the softness, when not combined with too
much contrast, becomes very nice for portrait shots in such light. The
background bokeh is also very consistent. This lens will not be cleaned for
shure! But it will see significantly more usage in the future...

Comments & critiques welcome as always
Didier

Replies: Reply from crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall) ([Leica] IMG: Portrait of Orion)
Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] IMG: Portrait of Orion)