Subject: [Leica] Barnack Digital
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jun 21 21:33:04 2007

I got my Leica D40x today and sat it down next to my main Ax as of late I'm
afraid to say my D200.
It was like putting an early Barnack next to an M5.

I have my 45 2.8 P lens on the D40x and is it a cute compact combo.

I am enabled. Feel like I've been Barnacked.

It is fast and quiet light and cheap. File size and I think quality level
will be the same as I'm used to with the D200 which I mainly shoot black and
whites between ASA's 1000 and 1600.

Then I put my awesomely excellent as it is awesomely cheap 50 1.8 Nikkor
Made in China on it and it focused perfectly. I know I focused it myself
which I enjoy doing its more intuitive as in making the image look like I
want it to look instead of picking focus points which is barely a
compromise..

I'll take 1.8 bright snappy groundglass image and image image image over the
speed of the zooms. Though in farness I don't use the fast zooms. Too big
for too many bucks. I'd spend big on miniaturization.

It has a smaller further away eye point. A longer tunnel to look through.
More like an 8mm movie camera, sorry Jim, thing is I like that. Seeing the
whole shot in one glace. I get better compositions.

Pouring rain and I had deadlines. And I watched the battery blink as it
charged but it finally did and so did my backup. 2 gig cards are so cheap
its not worth even discussing I'm using those little cards now. Like the
ones which go in the M8's and R digital backs.

I'll be up early to out our happy snapping with my fist full size imaging
tool. Half the size of an 4/3 made with twice the crop circle in the back.

I sure hope Leica comes out with a DSLR soon and that they realize,  being
Leica, that compactness has something to do with image making. A camera at
home; a camera not ON YOU hopefully in you pocket is not a camera worth
discussing. The digital R back whose initials I hope I never absorb is a
great picture taking machine for a monster designed for people with hands
the size of slabs of pot-roast..
The M8 cost
5000 / D20x 750= 6.666 D40x's.
The Beast but I wore that album out.

That's one D40 for every car in your garage if you live in a much richer
neighborhood. Those of you with 6.666 car garages know what your property
values worth.

I was out on the sidewalk outside my apartment at night here on the edge of
Harlem clicking away with it.

Happy as a clam would be an understatement. This is a better night camera.

Time for a Leica digital camera which uses Leica glass and has some spunk!

M or R. But more preferably.
SW
LTM

Which stands for.

Small World
Laughing to myself

Stop and Wait
Long Term Memory

Stab Wound
Less Than Major

Since When?
Line Terminating Multiplex

Shrink Wrapped
Loss Tracking Module

Snark Wars
Laser Target Marker

And I just learned " Laser " means

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Lots of Applied Scientists Eat Regularly

Look At Source, Erase Retina

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

LSMFT