Subject: [Leica] Barnack Digital
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jun 23 12:40:18 2007

On 6/23/07 8:46 AM, "Christopher Birchenhall" <crbirchenhall@googlemail.com>
typed:

> Mark
>
> I was out yesterday with my M4-P with a slide film (not yet finished)
> and a D80 - a bit bigger than the D40X - with a Sigma 30mm f1.4
> standard lens. The kit is somewhat bulkier than a Leica M but it is a
> useful companion to the M's. I only shot 16 photographs with it and
> about 20 with the M. It was a dull wet day but here are a couple of
> results that print pleasantly to A4. Not show stoppers but I am sure I
> will be making more use of this combination.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/35pgz7
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2q5t57

I was looking at the Sigma 30mm f1.4 last night and it strike me as a very
Leica like approach to shooting digital with a more compact digital
camera... than bloated tupperware zooms.

I see the Sony body out now in their new system absorbing Minolta Maxim in
the 1.5 crop circle format is the same size as the D40 or smalllist Canon.
And I repeat Leica needs not only a DSLR but a compact DSLR of this Leica
like Barnack size. Or I say poo poo to them!

Today I go out with my 24mm AFD on my camera and a 50 1.8 in my LowePro 100
sling. If I was using my 200 sling I'd also bring my 85 1.8 AFD for more
reach in the fast department. Just about any zoom dwarfs my new body and
makes it a negligible advantage. Even the kit lens the 18-55 one of my
favorite Lenes on my D200.

My silver 45 P is hard to turn and well... Silver.

Nice shots but for ASA 200 I'd be planning to for sure be making 17x22's.
I like the thing where you set auto a and if your shudder speed drops below
where you pre decide it to be then your ASA increases. Especially in an A or
S not P configuration.

But back to the lens I see it ways 15 ounces an once shy of a pound.
For glass which shoots back to a 1.5 crop image circle that's plenty roomy
design.

My 1.8 AF Nikor weighs. .34 of a pound that's at least half that. And had a
52 not 62 filter size. And legendary specs.
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/normal/af_50mmf_18d/index.ht

I'm more than happy to focus it myself in my spare time.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Barnack Digital)