Subject: [Leica] Barnack Digital
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jun 23 19:20:28 2007

On 6/23/07 6:10 PM, "Don Dory" <don.dory@gmail.com> typed:

> Well, actually, there is a Barnack digital.  It produces wonderful images
> and uses lenses going back deep into the 1930's to the present.  Lenses
> from
> illustrious firms like Zeiss, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Schneider, Angenioux,
> Taylor, Reid, Leica camera, and many others.
>
> I went to the Gay Pride event today with the Barnack digital and  six
> lenses
> in a tiny Domke bag.  No weight really and marvelously flexible.  I even
> saw
> one used for $4000.  Go ahead, fear not for it works marvelously well.
>
> On 6/23/07, Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:

The M8? Great camera!

But its an M digital.

Barnacks are screw mounts. And earlier ones at that.
The IIIA by hard core experts might be the last one so we are in the area of
changing lenses.

And pocketable size.

If we all used Barnacks or screw mounts we wouldn't be talking so much about
which compact camera to buy to have with us. We'd already have one.

The Leica screw mounts also called thread mounts (LTM's) are just the right
size. The film is 24x36 how big does a body have to be? Look at a Rollei 35?
Look at an Olympus OM1.

The M could have been smaller. The mount makes it have to be bigger? I cant
see why.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com