Subject: [Leica] IMG: WayBack Week 25 (chimping)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Jun 24 02:29:54 2007

Ham had righter stuff than most of the humans.  Due to a one-degree
deviation from planned trajectory on his flight, he had to endure a
whopping 17 G's on launch and 14 or 15 G's on re-entry.  The little chimp
took more punishment than most of the astronauts did.  Alan Shepherd's
similar flight, which went much closer to plan, took 6 G's on launch and 12
G's on re-entry. (One "G" is the force of earth's gravity).

For reference, normal Apollo re-entries were on the order of 7 G's.  A
Space Shuttle launch exposes its occupants to 3 G's .  Quite a difference.

A Russian Soyuz once took 18 G's on re-entry. The cosmonauts had visible
blood vessel ruptures in their buttocks.

--Peter