Subject: [Leica] Olympus E 410 in Alicante
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Jul 4 13:57:25 2007

I know this is a Leica list...but still, I have to put in a plug for
my newly acquired Olympus E410. I just came back from a couple of
days in Spain. I took the Olympus because I needed to travel light. I
took about 300 pictures and have just finished culling them down to
153. Having looked at most of them at 100%, I conclude that this
little Olympus is as close as you can get to an M camera in a DSLR
package. Actually, my Domke 803 bag which contained the E410 with its
14-42mm lens and a 1.4/30mm Sigma weighed much less than the same bag
loaded with an M outift. And most importantly, the images shot at
night at ISO 800 are highly usable. "Highly usable" in this context
means "better than 800 film". Not as good as what I get from my Canon
1D2 at this speed, but the margin is not big. And I could squeeze it
into my carry-on bag.

I am not going to post 153 images so you'll have to wait a few days
until I have selected 30-40 of them to post. But take my word for it:
highly recommended. Sure, I would like an M8. But the Olympus is 1/6
of the price of an M8, and in some ways it is more flexible than an
M8. I just got my Leica R-Four Thirds adapter, so my 100mm Apo Macro
(which I have decided to keep since none of you philistines wanted to
buy it) can now be used both on the Canon and on the Oly.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com
General photography: