Subject: [Leica] Re: Gear I wish I'd kept.
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Jul 4 21:35:26 2007

At 11:20 PM 7/4/2007, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

 >All this is documented by Emil Keller, a long term Leica employee, in
 >"The Leica Years."

Emil is a gem of rare worth, Larry, and we have
corresponded on these points and on others.  Both
of his books are valuable resources.

I stand by my original statement.  There was one
Prewar development project and two Postwar
development projects.  Wagner had little to do
with the IIIf, as this was simply an evolution of
the IIIc, though the revised shutter used in the
IIIf RD was brought about by Wagner's work.

The Leica  H was a private venture never
supported by the company save in the most basic
of ways.  Wagner was told before he started that
the design would not enter production, but he
persisted and, as he had been told, it was not
adopted, leading to his resignation from the
company.  The decision not to build the H was
probably one of the smartest moves made by Leitz
at a time when they were making a succession of
dumb decisions.  Leitz was just too small to
attempt to fill every niche in the camera market of the time.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!