Subject: [Leica] Re: Canal boats (OT)
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Jul 10 19:00:20 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Bill wrote:

> I would love to see what the interior of one of those boats looks
> like.
>
> Bill in Denver

I've heard it described as cruising in a moving hallway. The British
canal boats are a bit more than six feet wide. If you stand in the
middle of the boat and stretch out your arms, you can touch both
sides. In our Erie canal, boats are a foot or two wider, say about
eight feet. Incidentally the Erie Canal was responsible for
developing New York City as a major port. The canal, stretching from
the Buffalo area runs the length of New York State to the Hudson
River. When completed in 1826 it permitted a direct water route from
the Midwest to NYC. Passengers and agricultural produce could make
the trip to New York in a bit more than a week. Overland the trip
took twice as long and, for bulk cargos, was ten times more
expensive. The current canal, now known as the New York Barge Canal,
is a monumental piece of engineering, rivaling the Panama Canal. It
has 52 locks, some with 40 foot lifts, and climbs over the small
mountains in the middle of the state. Since the advent of rail, barge
traffic has dropped off and the canal is being transformed into a 350
mile long recreational park.

To put a photographic perspective on all this meandering, the Erie
Canal passes through miles of some of the prettiest and most bucolic
landscape in the USA. Side canals head to the Fingerlakes. glacially
carved crystal clear lakes 40 miles long and 4 miles wide with one of
the best wine grape growing areas in the US nestled between. If you
like GeeBee's photos of the English countryside, you will find it all
here (except for the churches).

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: Canal boats (OT))
Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Re: Canal boats (OT))