Subject: [Leica] Re: Assault on science and reason
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Jul 11 18:18:24 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 7:04 PM, George wrote:

> I believe that this discussion can and should transform into a
> discussion of how we can use our Leicas (and other cameras) to
> document the issue on the table. Kyle has pointed the way toward
> thinking about, and I assume talking about, subject matter which
> pretty quickly turned into images and a book of some significance.
>
> Which subjects would currently lend themselves to visually
> documenting this assault on science and reason?

I don't know about reason, but it is not an assault on science, per
se. Scientists are free to pursue any type of research, even stem
cells. It's just that they cannot expect to receive any government
funding. Science is international. There are very few prohibited
areas. If an American research journal won't publish an article for
fear of offending its medical and industrial advertisers, there are
plenty of foreign journals that will do so.

What our reactionary government controls is the public flow of
scientifically relevant information. Deny the facts of global warming
so we won't offend the oil companies. Ignore the plight of admittedly
illegal immigrants because the housing, farming, and food service
industries need their labor to keep wages low. Rant and rave against
public funded health care because of the pressure exerted by HMOs and
big pharma. Don't show pictures of wounded soldiers being treated in
shoddy hospitals because that would bring home the personal cost of
the war. We can fight back by using our Leicas to document abuses,
misinformation, and outright lies. The internet has wrested control
of information from the government and its lackey publishers. You
Tube, blogs, and advocacy sites make it possible to get your pictures
and videos seen by a wide audience. More young people get their news
from the web and from Jon Stewart's "Daily Show" than from newspapers
and network news combined. Hundreds of dedicated photographers can
saturate the web with the right kind of pictures. It is only 14
months until the next election. Get out there and shoot pictures. Use
your Leicas for the good of humanity. The bad guys don't have Leicas.
They use Instamatics.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Re: Assault on science and reason)