Subject: [Leica] CAL/repair of beaten up M3 - shutter repair..., viewfinder contrast
From: alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex)
Date: Sat Jul 14 03:42:42 2007

I'm getting ready to ship two of our M3 beaten up bodies to get
CLAed/repaired in US (presumably by Youxin Ye).
Both have shutter/winding stack, one in closed position (curtain appears
to be OK), the other one in fully opened position.
The second one, with fully opened shutter makes me worry: I can't see
any signs of curtain present there. The film gate is fully opened, there
is not curtain edges visible at either side of the gate.
Does that mean there is no curtain ? (perhaps it has separated and got
lost) ?

Assuming this is the case, does that sound like quite expensive shutter
repair ? What do you think ?

Also, comparing the viewfinder of both M3's with my M6, the finder of
both m3's looks considerably less contrasty then of M6, though frames
and focusing appear to be fine. The image though M6 finder appears to be
clearer due to higher contrast. Is that normal for M3s ?

Thanks, Alex

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] CAL/repair of beaten up M3 - shutter repair..., viewfinder contrast)