Subject: [Leica] Re: A lens question for technophiles
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jul 21 09:21:21 2007

While browsing through the web, I came across the Arri (motion
picture camera) newsletter describing the D20 demonstration back
allowing Arri cine cameras to be retrofitted for video capture.

http://www.arri.de/news/newsletter/articles/09211103/d20.htm

One of the features of the D20 is that the frame size is the same as
that of normal 35 mm motion picture film, 18 x 24 mm. This allows
normal cine lenses to be used with the same field of view and focal
range as with film. This gives rise to several questions relevant to
the Leica M8 and 4/3 lens concepts.

Motion picture frame size is about the same sensor size as that being
used in current digital DSLRs and the M8 and fractionally larger than
that used in the 4/3 system. The 4:3 cine aspect ratio is exactly
that of the 4/3 system. How does Arri use normal cine lenses with
normal back focus on a sensor this size without suffering all the
image deleterious effects so carefully described in the Leica
literature. Similarly the 4/3 literature describes the system as
providing almost vertical impact of light rays on the sensor.
Obviously that cannot be the case with the Arri approach. How does
Arri sidestep the issue of light ray angularity on the edges of the
field? The web site didn't give the information but surely someone on
the LUG knows.

My Olympus Pen F SLR camera uses the exact same film size (1/2 frame)
as the Arri camera. The lenses are normal and compact. The camera,
with lens, is Leica LTM sized. The pictures are excellent. Wouldn't
it be nice to have a DSLR of similar dimensions?

Incidentally, for those concerned about the multiplication ratio
between frame or sensor sizes, a full frame 35 mm camera produces
images only 1.33 times larger than a 1/2 frame camera despite the
fact of having twice the film area. Further about 90% of the 1/2
frame area is used to produce an 8" x 10" print while only 83% of the
full frame negative is used to product the same print.

While I don't dispute that bigger frame sizes in both film and
digital produce better image quality, the difference in quality is
not always proportional to the difference in area between frame
sizes. If that was the case, 35 mm would never have been adopted
since a Zeiss Ikonta, with a 36 sq. cm. image, folds into a package
the same size as a Leica M with an 8.64 sq. cm. image. So let's admit
it, the desire for a full frame M or DSLR digital sensor is based on
convenience for existing lens utilization rather than image quality.
I suspect that the same is true for DSLR cameras using the 4/3 format
or the APS-C format.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: A lens question for technophiles)
Reply from durling at cox.net (Mike Durling) ([Leica] Re: A lens question for technophiles)