Subject: [Leica] IMG : proud grandfather
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Jul 21 10:46:48 2007

Hi Hoppy,

No big secrets here. I'll try to describe my general workflow.
Sometimes I do more than that, but that would lead us very deep into
PS CS2.
I learned a lot by stealing with my eyes (and I've been stealing for
the past 18 years...) from professional retouchers, a strange breed
of people that I get in touch with quite often for my job.
I rarely use masks and everything that goes with that: most of what I
do is directly on selections (or copied layers in some case, that get
merged again ASAP) in the image, feathered or not.
For what I (and I think most of us) are doing with the images, masks
are not necessary: the practical aspect of it, being able to return
and change (even to details) at any time in any step of the process
is handy when working for a client, who tends to ask very often to
change this or that when he sees the retouched image for the first
time, but for your own images, I think you should know where you want
to get before you start working on it.
Some might argue that using masks keeps the image substantially
lighter (in Mb), and eventhough this is true, I don't think most of
us are working on +100 Mb base image. This means that you have to
work with about 10 layers (which is a lot for 'normal' photography)
before you get a 1 Gig image, a size that most modern computers can
handle.

Now, how do I work?

1) Cropping first. Cropping/composing an image is a craft that can be
learned. Apart from studies or courses in a good art school, I would
suggest reading 'Geometry of design' by Kimberly Elam, and 'The Power
of Limits' by Gy?rgy Doczi. This will get you pretty far into making,
framing or cropping balanced images. Studying Renaissance and baroque
paintings form the old masters also helps. They all used typical (but
sometimes very nifty) composition schemes. I could go deeper into
that (including color composition), but that would lead us too far ATM.

2) Conversion into B&W or color is second. I use AlienSkin Exposure
for that, or BW Pro from Fred Miranda, a cheap but good plugin that I
bought before I got AlienSkin. Most of the time, I just use the
default settings of these plugins.

3) Getting noise/grain out. I use NeatImage, almost every time at its
default settings. I don't like the PS tool for it, it doesn't work as
I would like it to.

4) Sharpening desired selections. I do it via USM (unsharp mask) -
pretty harsh- or with smart sharpening, which these days I use a lot,
in the following settings: 50/1, 50/2, or 60/1. All with the lens
blur setting on. But sometimes motion blur will give nice results, too.

5) Blurring desired selections. Make a copy of the inverted selection
into a new layer first, and put it above the to be blurred layer.
Apply gaussian blur moderately to obtain natural effects!

6) Setting overall max. blacks and max. whites. Basically this means
that you set your blacks as not just blacks (a tiny bit lighter), and
whites as not just whites (a tiny bit darker). I use curves for that.
I have a good article of a stock image bank about this somewhere at
work, and I'll post it later on. Others do this via levels, to unclip
darkest and lightest parts (got that one from Tina). Some do a
combination of both.

7) Dodging//burning/vignetting. Either with the PS tools for it, or
via curves in selected parts of the image, or with the shadow/
highlight tool in image/adjust. It depends.

8) Cleaning everything up, with or without selections. Apply the
cloning stamp and the thing I can't translate above it in the toolbox
(I have a Dutch PS version) as much (or as less) as you want. Look
carefully that you don't overdo it: the cloning stamp tends to
'smear' the image out, and the other thing I cannot translate tends
to stain at selection borders. Basically: cloning stamp ad borders
and edges of image and or selection, the other thing everywhere else.
This is how I got the electrical wire out of Jim's shot BTW.

9) Toning. Numerous possibilities here! Via duotone, via curves, via
color shifts, via image/adjust/photo filter (I use the latter a lot)
on the image or parts of it.

10) Maybe step 7 again for some parts of the shot.

11) Putting a nice border. Without a border, you haven 't presented
the image as should IMO. But different images require different
borders. It's easy to see what works best: just create additional
pixels around the image by adjusting the canvas, and choose a black,
grey or white background color.

11) Bring to web size and convert into sRGB, if that wasn't the case
already.

That's about it.

One more thing though: start experimenting with the wrap tool (in
edit/transform). It's fun and gives you a lot of shape correcting
possibilities (same thing with filter/liquify, but that is more
complex). Just don't go the irrealistic way, which is the case in
fashion retouches ATM: everything you see in commercial photography,
has undergone at least a beauty retouche. I can assure you that such
a treatment can make the ugliest person into a glamourous fashion
model. But that is an ethical discussion, and this contribution is
not about that.

Some interesting websites (many of them already mentioned by other
LUG members):
www.radiantvista.com/
www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm
www.cjcom.net/articles/digiprn3.htm
www.retouchpro.com
www.zuberphotographics.com/page_Downloads.htm
www.butzi.net/articles/toning.htm
www.computer-darkroom.com./tutorials/tutorial_2_3.htm
www.digitalfilmtools.com/ozone-2/ozone2.htm
www.craigsactions.com/Sales/CActionsSalesMain.html
www.inkjetmall.com/store/piezographyBW.html
www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/index.html
www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm
www.silveroxide.com/BWTech.htm
www.scantips.com
www.lighthunter.com
www.fredmiranda.com
www.alienskin.com

Hope this helps :-),
Philippe

Op 21-jul-07, om 02:30 heeft G Hopkinson het volgende geschreven: