Subject: [Leica] Long Xtol rant -- digerati may wish to delete
From: pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc)
Date: Wed Jul 25 15:00:35 2007

Len,

Thanks!  I've been using the datasheets in the film
boxes or on the chemistry bags, which tend to be
limited to plain vanilla combos.  This appropriately
named little chart seems to be just what I was looking
for.

I'd like to know if anyone has had hands-on experience
with 1:3 Xtol and common films such as Tri-X.

Now I'm in really deep. ;-)

Hazmat Pete (cough),
SF, CA

--- Leonard Taupier <len-1@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
> 1+1,
> >> 1+3 or 1+5 depending on the film being developed.
> >> This results in enhanced edge effects; it
> maximises
> >> direct development and minimises solution or
> >> physical development (called ?solvent
> >> action?), increasing sharpness.  They also
> >> used dimezone-S as the superadditive
> co-developer.
> >> Dimezone-S is a potent developer at low
> >> concentrations (it is, after all, similar to
> >> phenidone) but is easier to dissolve in water
> than
> >> phenidone and is less likely to oxidise once in
> >> solution.  Properly mixed Xtol is actually quite
> >> stable ? not Rodinal or PMK Pyro stock stable,
> >> but very good.
> >>
> >> So it?s sharp and has great tonality.  Super.
> >> Unfortunately, Xtol got a reputation early on for
> >> both failing catastrophically and leaving odd
> >> artefacts in negatives.  So, what gives?  Is it
> >> great or does it suck?
> >>
> >> As usual, the answer to both is yes. Xtol fails
> for
> >> two reasons.  Ascorbates are strong antioxidants
> and
> >> will scavenge oxygen from solution.
> Unfortunately
> >> the oxidation products of ascorbates do not
> develop
> >> latent silver images and do not present a colour
> >> change in solution.  This explains what we
> already
> >> know ? Xtol can die without warning. The other
> >> reason Xtol can fail is that the oxidation of
> >> ascorbates is catalysed by metal ions in water
> >> ? particularly divalent cations (they are the
> >> 2+ ones).  These include calcium and iron, the
> >> former common in ?photo grade? chemicals
> >> and the latter common in tapwater.  Odd
> donut-shaped
> >> dots on negatives developed in Xtol are seen
> >> sometimes even by people who are careful about
> air
> >> and mixing.  I suspect this occurs when impure
> >> dilution water is used and a little particle of
> iron
> >> or some other substance ends up onthe film,
> >> oxidising the ascorbate (and therefore inhibiting
> >> development) forsome distance around.  I!
> >>  t?s not likely tobe in the original mix
> >> water, since impurities here would probably kill
> the
> >> developer, unless it was mixed and then used
> almost
> >> right away.
> >>
> >> ?Sudden Xtol death syndrome? can be
> >> fixed by keeping bottles completely full and in
> the
> >> dark; ?Xtol spots? can be avoided by
> >> always using distilled or deionised and filtered
> >> water to mix and dilute Xtol.  Whether you think
> >> that is worth the bother is up to you.  I think
> it
> >> is.
> >>
> >> Can you mix your own Xtol? Sort-of.  Mark Rabiner
> >> sent aroundthe basic formula from the patent
> >> (that?s not an MSDS ? an MSDS is the
> >> ?material safety data sheet? and the one

path=2879/4648&CID=go&idhbx=msds&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=2627