Subject: [Leica] Re: NYC Photo Permit
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Jul 26 18:19:24 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Chris wrote this comment to Tina's post:

> Here is the part of the rule (proposed NYC Photographer's Permit)
> that most people don't like:
>
> Film or still photography activity involving a tripod and a crew of
> 5 or
> more persons (at one site for 10 or more minutes) would require a
> permit,
> or the same activity among two people at a single site for more
> than 30
> minutes.
>
> Don't set up that tripod until your ready to shoot and leave the
> entourage
> at home!.  What does one site mean?
> "but I moved the tripod 20 feet officer..."
> "Shut-up wise ass and keep those hands where I can see them"

While I agree that the permit requirement is a significant
infringement of a photographer's civil rights, I also find myself in
reluctant agreement with the intent of the permit proposal. I had an
office near Gramercy Park in NYC for over 20 years. The area is in
the heart of the photo district and the park itself is a favorite
site for fashion shots and movies. More often than not the streets
are crowded with camera crews, lights, and trailers. Sidewalks are
shut off. Thorofares are blocked to traffic. And that's only the
professional photo crews. Hordes of NYU film students use the area
for their class projects. Tripods in the middle of sidewalks during
lunch hour are a real hazard. Unless you live and/or work in NYC it
is hard to appreciate the amount of traffic and the number of
pedestrians that take to the streets during the lunch time break (11
a.m. to 2 p.m.) or at the evening rush hours (4 p.m. to 7 p.m.).
Anything that interferes with the flow of hungry New Yorkers seeking
the nearest Sabretts hot dog wagon or the rush to subways and the MTA
or LIRR causes trouble. Not quite as bad as a terrorist attack but
equivalent to the landing of a Martian space ship in Central Park.

Photography in NYC should be unrestricted before 8 a.m. and after 7
p.m. and all legal holidays and weekends. But the taxpayers and
residents deserve unrestricted access to the sidewalks. Pedestrians
whose tripods are kicked over by disgruntled pedestrians have my
sympathy but not my support. I suspect my feelings are shared by most
New Yorkers.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Re: NYC Photo Permit)