Subject: [Leica] IMG: in focus and I like it? ;-)
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Wed Aug 1 14:37:08 2007

Marc,

You measured it right. About one and a third stop if you follow the
books of the zone system (exposing for skin, that is).
So, I think (hope) that you will like this version more:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/phorlent/_POR0887_2.jpg.html>

Honestly, I don't know which one of both is to be considered best.
They both have pros and cons. Personally, I still prefer the first
version.
The first one was a search for something different, though. A queeste
for a personal signature or an approach to photography. No intention
of over idealizing kids at all.
More like an enormous sympathy for their spontaneity.
It was an experiment, as many of my images are. (See boy with stick...)

Why this queeste? Because lately I find that I'm not evolving in my
photography. It's not bad, it's a bit of everything (with some bias
to shots of my own children and close family), and it goes every way
but one. No consistancy, except for a sort of Esperanto style. A
Zelig technique. Call it globalized mediocrity, maybe. The Marketing
Style... And I'm not the only one with that problem, BTW.
I know that, had no problem with it (I'm not that long really
seriously into doing photography myself: 5 years or so. Thus, so many
more years to come...) until recently and now I'm trying to do
something about it.
Hence the checking some things with esteemed photographers on this
list. Reading responses, looking, absorbing and trying to respond to
what seems interesting to me.
Hence the experimenting (and partially because of you*) with light,
but also subject, theme, ...
Trying different approaches (and there's a lot of stuff I don't
show), and always in combination with PS.
Hence my sometimes a bit grotesque defense of new technology. And
love for old.

Why with PS? Because it's the most important evolution in photography
of the last decade. (IMO)

Before PS, one had some control over the final image. Within several
boundaries, a lot was possible. But there was always technique
limiting the outcome.
The strange thing is that, within these limits, photographic quality
was a lot better than it is today. Technique was 'limited', but there
was so much more personality in the photographs themselves.
The Avedon discussion (*that's were you come in) made me realize
that. Although I find Eric's children portraits extremely beautiful
(whatever zone they're in), and although I perfectly understood the
reference he made to Avedon, your description of Avedon's
working process made me have a deeper look into his work. Only to
discover that he sure knew how to create an image (which is more than
a photograph for me). He used photography to realize this image,
within its technical limits. But what a signature! What a mark he
made! And he was not the only one: my (pre PS era) Phaidon 'Photo
Book' is full of them. I dived into a Dutch Commercial Photography
Award book of 21 years ago: same thing. Splendid photography, page
after page.
Why was this photography so special? Because these people
experimented, and often created images that suggested more than
reality. Or created a new one. Or interpreted it in a unique way.

Imagine where these men and women could have gone if at that time
they had PS at their hand: a tool that gives you almost unlimited
control over technique ?nd reality.

Before PS It was impossible to 'trick' an image in an invisible way.
If you wanted to do something special, you had to have an idea, and
you had to have 'a' technique.
But all this has been done, in an enormous variety, in the last
century. And that century is over now, for 7 years already.
Why not combine that 'old' creativity with PS? It would lead to
something entirely new. Or at least to an evolution.

Strangely enough, PS is mostly used to recreate styles that have been
done before. Or to create Marketing photography.
IMO that's a shame.

So I'm just experimenting, until I find how to make my work into
'something else' -for everybody. Chances are big that I'll be
experimenting until the end of my days :-)
After all, it's a kind of new Interbellum. And isn't that the perfect
time for that?

Philippe

PS: written with all due respect for photojournalism and documentary
photography. And for honesty in photography.

Op 1-aug-07, om 13:27 heeft Mark Rabiner het volgende geschreven: