Subject: [Leica] Summarit Press Release
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Mon Aug 6 07:16:11 2007

In a message dated 8/6/2007 4:44:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

the name  has me a bit muddled. i have an old summarit, a 1.5 LTM.
does the summarit  name signify anything technical with respect to the
design of new line of  lenses or is it a mainly a marketing name
for the line?
I have a 1956 vintage f1.5 50mm Summarit M mount. Since  the Summarit was
conceived as a fast lens, perhaps Leica Solms thought  that the Summarit
label
could be used for a class of lenses, more compact than  the faster
Summicrons.

The only thing I didn't like about the Summarit -- which I  still use -- is
that the focusing assembly was made to such close  tolerances that the lens
was
almost impossible to focus, so I had  to set distance by judgment. When I
returned the Summarit to Leitz NY  with that complaint, they removed the oil
so
the movement now has some  slack to it, but it's still a difficult lens to
focus. I assume that won't be a  problem with the new Summarit lenses. I can
now
just about use the  rangefinder with it. It certainly has a lot of heavy
duty
glass and brass in it.  It's a weighty character. It was the first lens I
owned
calibrated in meters. I  bought it in Germany.

Other than having too much of a good thing mechanically, the  f1.5 Summarit
is still a powerful lens that frees me from using  speedlights. I think
David
Duncan used a Summarit for his book on Picasso and  another excellent
photographer used one to do a memorable book on the poet Dylan  Thomas. I
have both in
my library. Both were shot in B&W, which seems  natural for the Summarit.

Incidentally, does anyone know the prices of the new Summarit  lenses?

Bob

at

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Summarit Press Release)