Subject: [Leica] PAW 31 AND A QUESTION.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Aug 6 13:16:05 2007

> Hi all:
> I have been getting used to a "new" lens for my DSLR and took the enclosed
> PAW in Central Park New York from a distance. In any event I have a
> question. I bought an FZ20 some years ago. It has a Vario_Elmarit "Leica"
> branded lens with a 2.8 maximum aperture which remains at 2.8 throughout
> the
> effective zoom range- from 35-420mm. Thereafter, I started using an FZ30
> which closes down to 3.7 at the long end of the zoom range. Tamron lenses
> ie: 28-300 (44-480 effective zoom range digital) closes down to 6.3 at the
> long end. My question is why??- I am going to start using  the FZ 20 again,
> which stays open at 2.8 even at the end of the range for "lower light"
> telephoto portraits. Unfortunately the sensor is noisy. The DSLR which has
> the less noisy sensor but the much more noisy shutter, can't be used in low
> light for extremely long portraits even though the top range of the DSLR is
> 1600 ISO. Why must they reduce the zoom apertures in some lenses and not
> others. Why the difference do you think, between the FZ20 and 30??
>
> http://vroger.smugmug.com/gallery/2321992/5/180568375/Large

Roger check the dp preview reviews, conclusions and tech sheets:

The 220 has a ? 1/2.5" Type CCD censor
A normal lens based on the imaging diagonal would be 10mm.
5.760 width by 4.290 height in mms

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/page9.asp
"Visible noise at ISO's above 100"

On the 230 its a ? 1/1.8" Type CCD
A 9mm lens would be the normal lens for this format.
7.176 width by 5.319 height in mms
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/page17.asp
"Noise is even an issue at ISO 80, a real problem at ISO 400 or in very low
light"

Its got a smaller sensor and a slower lens it is a cheaper camera?

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

These highfalutin cameras have very small sensors.

Like putting a zoom high end lens in front of a Minox;
Fun to use; but then what have you got?
I'd get into at least 4/3 if not 1.8* formats the cameras or no bigger in
size then these in the hand and really as much fun to shoot with.

Have my normal lens be a 22 or 28 instead of a 10 or 9.

Sensor (mm)
Type Diagonal
1/3.6"      5.000
1/3.2"      5.680
1/3"      6.000
1/2.7"      6.721
1/2.5"      7.182
1/2"      8
1/1.8"      8.933
1/1.7"      9.500
2/3"      11.000
1"      16.800
4/3"      22.500
1.8" (*)       28.400
35 mm film       43.300

(*) this is APS-C for the 1.5 crop circle factor.
Would be cool to know the crop factor on all these formats.

When buying a camera we have to try to not get overwhelmed by the
resolution numbers the amount of megapixels...
And first look at the size of the format itself.
Which is the size of the sensor
Or film maybe.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/

I'm just seeing now when they came out with the 230 they increased the
megapixels from 5  to 8
While down sizing the sensor size from 10 to 9mm.
That's messed up!
That ain't right!

These are the people making Leica digital cameras for the masses!

I always look first to these DP people.
If they are saying you have a noise issue at ISO 80 then you've got a real
problem.
I don't have a camera which goes down to ISO 80.
My new one goes down to 100, my first one goes down to 200.
I tend to shoot at ISO 1000 as do many but that's changing.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] PAW 31 AND A QUESTION.)