Subject: [Leica] Armed *White* America?
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Thu Aug 9 04:52:40 2007

Very well put, Ted.
I'm sure Kyle will chime in on this, but having been his assistant through
the
project, I will say that he was very conscious of the fact that we had few
African Americans and Asians in the book.  He stressed it out just a bit,
but
we didn't have and agenda of Armed Affirmative Action going here.  We met
who
volunteered and got their photos, simple as that.  We did have contact with
more black people but I gathered that they associated a sort of stigma with
their firearms ownership in the eye of the public and so chose to remain out
of the book.  We can't force anyone to have a photo taken for an endeavor
such as this and we weren't going to press the issue with reluctant people.
That's just plain wrong.
A portrait book of America, or any country for that matter can only be
absolutely complete with a photo of every one of it's citizens.  I wanted to
go that route with this book, but Krause said we'd size ourselves out of the
store if we made a photo art book of 215 million gun owners...
The project was interesting and it's great to have been a part of it.
Thanks all.
Philip