Subject: [Leica] Armed *White* America ?
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Thu Aug 9 08:56:14 2007

Jayanand,
It is nice to have a non-American view which allows me anyway to consider
why we are drawn to guns.  The simple answer is that many Americans find
sex a difficult issue to manage so those who would likely be members of
some death cult of heroism would find playing with weapons an ersatz
phallic exercise.

Chris

At 10:17 AM 8/9/2007, you wrote:
>Steve,
>I, too, have the book - I think for anyone who has not lived in the USA it
>would only confirm the stereotype of gun happy Americans; such normal
>looking people with such weapons!! I find this constitutional right to buy
>guns at any corner extremely uncivilised and troubling, and before everyone
>on the list jumps on my head, I am only expressing a personal view, which I
>am entitled to. Others may have different views which I respect.
>Cheers
>Jayanand
>
>On 8/9/07, Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 9, 2007, at 5:19 AM, Kyle Cassidy wrote:
> >
> > > This book, like most photography books, is made up entirely of the
> > > subset of "people willing to be photographed" and suffers from
> > > that, indeed.
> >
> > yes...
> >
> > the photography is wonderful, even though self selected and posed...
> >
> > I own this book, I do find it troubling,  but I think that is what
> > Kyle intended....
> >
> > it is an important book, I wish Kyle success and certainly he
> > deserves it, for such a simple, original, and provocative book.
> >
> > Steve

Chris Saganich, Sr. Physicist
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018@med.cornell.edu