Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanning Tri-X
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat Aug 18 08:29:49 2007

At 10:50 AM 8/18/2007, you wrote:

>Can someone explain what he means in plain language?  I've scanned
>hundreds of Tri-X negatives with my Minolta Dimage 5400 scanner at
>4000ppi, and, apart from the inevitable dust spots on poorly stored
>negatives, I have yet to see what he means. If there is a problem, is
>the scanner software correcting it automatically?
>
>Larry Z

The only thing that produces posterization when scanning B&W
negatives with my Nikon LS5000 is if you leave Digital ICE turned
on.  The Digital ICE reads the silver in the negatives as dirt and
tries to remove it.  They scan fine without Digital ICE but, of
course, you have to hand spot all of the dirt and scratches.  I get
better results from putting B&W negatives in my Beseler Slide
Duplicator and using a Canon 5D to photograph them - it's much, much
faster than using a film scanner, too.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI