Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanning Tri-X
From: alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex)
Date: Sat Aug 18 13:26:01 2007

Sounds like a scientific-pretending crap by someone trying to boast his,
probably hollow fundamental EE knowledge base.
I can try to put it simple what he might intend to impose (not necessary
phtoography related, pulled out from just a plain, dry B.Sc.EE signal
processing fundamentals about signal samlping theory)"

Sampling theory is the basis of the signal processing fundamentals and
basically rules how the analog signal must be sampled (get converedt
into digital form) in order to be able to reproduce it reliably and
faithfully. I.e. if one is willing to convert analog signal into digital
domain or whatever reason and then to get it converted back to analgo
for thuthfull reproduction, the signal must be samlped acording to
certain rules, the most fundamental of which is caleld Nyquist sampling
theorem. To stay on topic, we may regard scanning of photographic film
as sampling process in order to convert analog (continuous) media into
digital (discrete) domain.
The Nyquist theorem claims (in its simplest form) that in order to
preserve the original frequency (spectrum) content of the analog signal,
its sampling rate must be at least twice as higher as the highest
frequency component of the original analog signal. Just think of audio,
music that you used to listen. You want to convert it into digital
domain (say, for computer procesing, MP3 coding, whatever), so you must
sample ot to get it represented as discrete signal values in time line.
Assuming you know ahead that the highest audible frequency your ear is
able to discern is 15 kHz, that means that to preserve that original
quality that audio signal must be samlped at the rate no less then 30 kHz.
However, in practice, most real complex spectrum signals are featured by
infinite frequency content, i.e. even though our ear isn't able to
discern higher then, say, 20 kHz, the actual signal may contain much
higher frequency components, even up to infinity (though with much
lesser power). Obviously, analog signal of infinite spectrum content is
impossible to sample obtaining truthful frequency content, just because
theoretically is must be sampled at the rate which is at least twice as
high then infinity, which is impossble. Thus, in such cases, the
tradeoff must be made: we usually choose the highest meaningful
frequency content per perticular application (the rest of the higher
spectrum is regarded as undesirable noise) and then sample the signal at
the rate that is at least twice as faster then that highest meaningful
frequency.

Now back to our photographic "land". We regard the film as analog,
continuous media featured by infinite "spectrum". Scanning posses
digital sampling process, thus seemingly yet Nyquist rule can be
applied. However, since we said the film's "spectrum" is not limited (at
least in ideal world), in oder to samlpe it we must to choose some kind
of meaningful "spectrum" content limit. For practical reasons it is fair
to let that limit as film grain size, beyond of which there is no
meaningful image information to look for. So that in order to assess the
minimum necessary scanning resolution in order to attain the highest
possible resolution in digital domain up to grain sizes, we have to take
the grain size (say in mm of inches) and then obtain the necessery
Nyquist sampling rate to be at least twice of that size (actually
scanning resolution twice as high as the grain size).

I have no idea about grain sizes of particular films, but we can try to
approach the problem from the opposite side: basing on our knowledge of
available sampling resolution. Assuming our scanner is capable of true,
optical 4000 dpi (makes 157.5 dots per mm), it is able to resolve
details as small as 78 dots per mm or 2000 dpi, or in such case, the
grain (our artificial meaningful informaiton limit) should be of size of
1/78 mm (or 1/2000 inches). If the actual grain size is larger then that
- we have set an excess scanning resolution that will pick the grain
which may interfare with image details. On the other hand, if the garin
size is smaller - our sampling frequency may be enough to resolve image
details but will not be enough to clearly resolve the grain pattern, in
which case, apparently this is good one. Having said that, is the garin
is much smaller then that, we are at rist of loosing very fine details
because our sampling resolution will not be high enough to resolve these.
In the case the grain actual size is very close to Nyquist limit of our
particular scaning resolution - we may have the case of what is called
grain alaising.

Hope what I tryed to convey is reasonably comprehensable, or I'll be
glad for someone more knowledgable to cclarify the things even further
and/or probably correct my ommisions in the aforementioned).

Alex