Subject: [Leica] NOT Old Barcelona Station but London's answer
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun Aug 19 15:34:38 2007

Luis,

I did have an idea (see your mail below)...I was going into London that
afternoon and knew that I would be near what was once intended to be (by the
railway company involved) London's intended main departure point for Europe.
Not
Victoria, or Waterloo, or even St. Pancras International, but Blackfriar's
station of which most LUGers won't even have heard.

It has suffered bombing, rebuilds, additions and modernisation. Built partly
as
a terminus, partly as a through-link connecting to stations north of London,
it
stands in part on a bridge over the Thames. Today it is fairly deserted and
just
has just five or six platforms:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/BlackfriarsStation/BlackfriarsStation001.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/BlackfriarsStation/BlackfriarsStation003.jpg.html>

with the occasional train:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/BlackfriarsStation/BlackfriarsStation004.jpg.html>

most of the platforms are quiet most outside rush hour, although it is next
the City of London and the Thames (look at the background):

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/BlackfriarsStation/BlackfriarsStation002.jpg.html>

Its past glories are passed by most and probably are unrecognised by all but
few. They are enshrined in this wall, from the original station, that stands
in
the foyer:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/BlackfriarsStation/BlackfriarsStationDestinations001.jpg.html>

listing some of the destinations which you could reach, by taking a traion
from
here to the Channel at Dover, taking a ferry across to Calais and a
connecting
service.

The shots aren't as good as yours of Barcelona, but thanks for the idea,

Best regards,

Peter Dzwig