Subject: [Leica] IMG: Harbors #81
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Aug 21 08:29:05 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Leonard Taupier wrote:

> Ric, many of your shots show boats in different stages of decay.
> Are there special places where these boats are brought? Like a
> junkyard. Or are many just abandoned and allowed to disappear
> naturally?

My experience is that wooden boats just sink and die. Steel may make
it to salvage yards. <http://tinyurl.com/ywmrwx>

It may be related to what an old public health friend of mine called
the "hookworm culture" of the South.

> This is a wonderful photographic series you are presenting. Would
> this be typical up and down the coast?

Pretty typical in pockets. Many of the harbors have replaced fishing
boats with sailboats and yachts as ever more people move to the
coast. I think I'm presenting a pretty typical cross section of those
pockets along the northern half of our coastline. I don;t get as much
time to the south.

I don't have much photographic interest in the fiberglass (frozen
snot as an old friend called them) pleasure vessels, and so ignore
those places.

thanks

ric

Message from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Harbors #81)