Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 35, Issue 363
From: Bartphotog at aol.com (Bartphotog@aol.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 16:50:48 2007

In a message dated 8/25/07 7:33:54 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

<< I just returned from the Canyon de Chelly,  and Winslow,  Arizona...
By coincidence, at Canyon de Chelly I  met Travis Terry a friend and
a great Native American Flute player...
He agreed to sit right there on the edge of the canyon,  and play his
flute...while I took a photo...
If anyone is interested in his music write to me... I will put you
onto some incredible music and playing... >>

Steve,

I would like that information.  I  love listening to Indian flute, which I
find profoundly soothing.

A few months ago, at a Native American art show and sale, I encountered a
master Indian flutemaker by the name of Gil Martinez, who, with his daughter
Terri, does business as "With These Hands," a wonderful name, I thought.  He
displayed several instruments, in various styles, from "starter" flutes made
from
PVC pipe to be affordable, but still have remarably nice tone, to gorgeous
works of art with wood and stone inlays.  After we talked a while, he
brought out
several others to show me the differences and similarities.

Gil played the various different designs, and, although he claimed to be an
amateur in that department, it sounded beautiful to me.  After he described
for
me the features and musical histories of several, I was able to make just a
single photograph of him before my digicam's battery unexpectedly died.  I
purchased a simple bamboo flute, and we parted with Gil indicating he would
like
to hear the music I was making with it in a year.  Judging from the results
date, he may be disappointed in that.

Thanks for the wonderful photograph and introduction to your friend!

Bart Smith

the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 35, Issue 363)