Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yet more signs
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sun Aug 26 18:02:06 2007

Thanks Ball--

The Rebel has always been my favorite redneck bar. AG, the barbecue
guy in my WayBack PAW, is the owner.

The Rebel has a history of hosting a number of Yankee regulars. Leo
was a 300+ pound  electrical engineer from Cambridge, MA. (I'll try
to find a photo I have of Leo, mint julep in hand, sitting in his
1966 Ford convertible in the parking lot at The Rebel.) Leo was in
this foreign land designing linear electrical motors for Hamilton
Beach and other manufacturers.

Leo never lost his accent and loved to pick liberal arguments with
the local reactionaries. Among his favorite adversaries was Captain
Frank Cox. (The guy with the cannon in my WayBack PAW and the
yachtsman who always referred to fiberglass as "frozen snot.") That's
a real cannon by the way. I remember when Frank had her remachined
and had to resite the bugger. He an his Washington Grays cronies were
taking her out into the country one Saturday with lots of live rounds
to get their aim rezoned. They were competitive shooters.

Frank invited me out to take pictures that day. "You don't need to
worry about bringin' liquor, we'll have plenty there," he reassured
me. They did. I'll look for those photos, too.

Anyway...

After hearing so much about how the damn Yankees were ruining our way
of life, Leo thought it would be fun to put a permanent end to the
question. He bought had installed a small tombstone memorializing the
symbolic "last damn Yankee."

The second marker rather tells the rest of the story.

Thanks for looking.

ric