Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Aug 30 09:23:08 2007

Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Doug's prints taken with the Leicaflex, as well as the DMR. I took
> them out this morning and looked at them in detail, and each is as good as
> the other.

The real distinction is not in the prints I'm willing to sell, it's in the
photos I've rejected and refuse to show anyone.  When using the DMR I have
fewer technical limitations so I can crop more, produce saleable photos in
dimmer light, and work with brighness ranges beyond what film can record
well, while using faster shutter speeds.

Prints of the American Avocet photo

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/recurvirostridae/amav01.html

have detail in the brightest whites and also well into the darkest black
feathers; I cannot duplicate this with any film let alone an ISO 400 film
(this photo was made at ISO 400 in bright sunlight).  With film of any kind
if I want that much detail in a bird with both black and white plumage I'm
restricted to the softest overcast light and, typically, slow films.

With this photo of the Sooty Grouse

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/sogr02.html

I was able to use Provia 400F because the bird was illuminated not only
from above by sunlight filtered through trees but also from below the
horizon by sunlight reflected from a nearby patch of decomposed granite;
this made the lighting much more even than usual, and the bird doesn't have
large areas of black or white feathers.  Without either of the light
sources or if the bird had large areas of both black and white plumage
(like the Avocet) the odds would have been much greater that the photo
would have been rejected on a technical basis.  With the DMR instead of
film I don't face nearly as many of those technical limits.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web