Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 - collectible status
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Thu Aug 30 15:38:54 2007

On 8/30/07, D Khong <dankhong@gmail.com> wrote:

> Friends in the LUG
>
> Part of the Leica rangefinder appeal was it's collectible status. A fine
> mechanical Leica M3 for example passed from hand to hand, over its
> lifespan.

Well, it depends on a lot of things.  There is a certain myth about Leicas
holding value.  True, they  hold more value than many othrer brands, but
that Leica that someone bought for $325 in 1973 (was that the new price?)
would have to bring nearly $1600 in today's dollars to actually retain
value.

When I could afford my Agfa Silletto in 1960, I bought it.   A similar one
is on sale today at $29.00   I paid $45 for it.  It is in my collection and
still works.  It did not ever have a CLA.   When I paid $45 for that camera,
I was earning $1.50 an hour.

Saved for the need to have the occasional CLA, the camera was virtually
> indestructible in good hands.

Any camera is indestructible if you baby it and don't use it.

An average digital camera is like an extension of the computer. It is a use
> and discard item. The cost of repairing older digital cameras is often not
> considered worthwhile.

I have a ten year old Casio digital camera that takes as good pictures today
as it did then.  I expect it will do as well in ten more years.  It is in a
drawer, because it has been replaced by cameras that are more able.

> The M8 is somewhat different, it has the advantage of
> coupling with a vast variety of lenses originally designed for the earlier
> cameras. Owning and using the M8 has additional meaning in its own right.

By the way, I am at about $2300 in earnings from my M8.  I am not a pro.  I
do not do weddings.  I shoot occassionaly for a couple magazines.  I get to
write off part of my camera because I do that.  The quality is high enough
for them.   I love shooting it.  It is like an M, only I can send the
pictures today instead of next week.

Its price is too high for it to be treated as another use and throw away
> camera. On the other hand, it is a matter of time when the M8 will go the
> way that digital cameras do.

 Or the way that cameras that fail to do what we need.  I started with a
IIIf, ended my film career (not really) with 2 M7's.  I still have and use
my R8 .

Electronics and electricals as I understand
> deteriorate with time.

I don't think that is right.  I have an amp that is 30 years old, and it is
quite mellow.

Only time can tell whether it is worthwhile doing an
> digital "CLA" on the M8.

That remains to be seen.  I think that it will be possible.  After all, most
of the CLA that digital needs is firmware.   A well designed camera can make
wonderous changes with firmware upgrade.

 In the same line of thought, one must also decide
> whether it is worthwhile to buy a used M8 that has done some mileage. If
> there is disquiet about the wisdom of buying a pre-owned M8, then this
> will
> have a bearing on its collectible status.

Here's my point.  Cameras are not for collecting.  They are for making
pictures.  ;-)

Sonny

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: M8 - collectible status)