Subject: [Leica] IMG: Chelsea At The Door
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Thu Aug 30 16:46:16 2007

On August 28, 2007, Hoppy wrote:

> Bob, a nice warm pet portrait.

Thanks, Hoppy, and others who wrote.  It was late afternoon / early
evening sun, which gave the photo a nice warm light....Chelsea (who was
waiting to go in for supper) is a smart, affectionate and occasionally
very hard headed dog, who waits for no man when the food is being dished
out...

> The back focus issue is a very interesting one. There is an article in the
> current (August) LFI which discusses the issue at some
> length. Leica reports record numbers of lenses being sent for adjustment.
> The most vulnerable being basically the -luxes. Clearly
> any error would be most apparent with the very fast lenses. However they
> have said that the later design of the 50 asph and 75 asph
> with floating element is meant to be less vulnerable and this may be their
> future basis for lens designs of that type. Leica
> suggests that errors that may have been present with film cameras too are
> perhaps more noticeable with digital capture. Especially
> now that there is a greater awareness of the issue.

Thanks.  I just read the article. I don't pretend to understand
everything I read but I guess it makes sense insofar as I do.

> I like their one line solution if you get a focus shift. Just shoot the
> lens
> wide open all the time!

A little impractical with the 75 Summilux, which at 1.4 and close in has
depth of field about equal to the width of a human (or dog) hair.

The shot of Chelsea was at 2.8 or 4.0 (ISO 320) and cropped a bit; I was
standing maybe 8 or 10 feet from her.  The depth of field is minuscule
here and at 1.4 it would have been almost non-existent.

I love the images this lens produces when I hit the focus, but often
times luck plays a large role.

> Cheers
> Hoppy

Regards,