Subject: [Leica] Migrating to M8: What's Really Necessary?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Aug 31 15:22:26 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Leonard J Kapner wrote:
> 1) Which of my lenses MUST be six-bit coded?

I only have one 6bit lens (50 lux asph) Doesn't seem to matter much
unless you really need exif data about the lens on the camera. I
suspect that vignetting may be reduced if I had the 28 cron and 35
lux ash coded. However, that is so easily accomplished in software
that it doesn't seem to demand attention.

> 2) Is there a reputable source other than Leica USA for this service?

No idea.

> 3) In order to mitigate focus shift issues, should my lenses also be
> recalibrated at the same time they're coded?

I'd wait to see if you have a focus shift problem. It seems that some
folks do and others don't.

> 4) In order to recalibrate lenses properly, do the technicians need
> to have
> my M6/7/8 bodies at hand?

Not sure. It all needs to be tested once you receive your M8. You may
not need to give it another thought.

> 5) Are IR cut filters in the necessary ring diameters readily
> available now
> from Leica?

Doesn't seem so. However, they seem to be arriving sooner rather than
later now than early on.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com