Subject: [Leica] M8 cleaning mystery ("But English *is* their native language")
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Sep 1 17:56:46 2007

Brian:  Welcome to "Adventures in Technical Writing."

I just an Arctic Butterfly myself.  With revised instructions, (v 1.1?)
that warn you, in red, not to touch the brush to the sensor while the brush
is spinning.

Your instruction #4 is hopeless. What the Senator. . . er, the instruction
*means* is that you spin the brush to induce a static charge on the
brush.  Then you turn off the motor and use the charged brush to attract
the dust particles to it.  Don't touch the sensor with the brush while the
motor is running.

The new instructions were probably written after someone realized that the
hapless user might misunderstand Instruction #4, use the brush like a
motorized shoe buffer, and then call tech support to ask why all his
pictures look like they were taken through frosted glass.  Followed by a
call to his attorney.  Instruction #4 was supposed convey that information,
but could be "misconscrewed," as Archie Bunker used to say.

As the manual to a 1980s monitor I once owned said, "Keep off the capacity
transformable or magnetic."  Now, there's a maxim we can all live by.   :-)

--Peter