Subject: [Leica] OT: Macintosh with afterburners
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu Sep 6 21:58:00 2007

2007-09-06-22:40:17 Brian Reid:
> I have to decide whether I'm going to be totally anal and do
> Retrospect backups of the RAID 5 to protect against fire and
> earthquake and other catastrophes.

Yes, you are. Backups to drives which are then taken out of any
electrical connection with the computer or the wall so they can't be
zorched by some freak electrical surge. Perhaps even stuffed in a media
safe (those things like "fire safes", but specified to keep temperatures
down below those which kill devices and plastics, not just ignite
paper).  Then you'll sleep like a contented stone.

> giddy with power

Congratulations!

I routinely stuff a Raptor in as the non-raided boot disk, and leave
/Applications on there, too.  Snappy.  It wasn't clear to me where in
this zippy architecture you had your apps and libraries loading from.

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] OT: Macintosh with afterburners)