Subject: [Leica] OT: Hasselblad price
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Sep 8 22:02:31 2007

> I might have a chance to pick up a beautiful Hasselblad (503 ?), with
> prismfinder, back, 60/3.5 Distagon T* for about 1,500 dollars.
>
> I have no idea. ... Is that a decent price?
>
> Daniel

A key thing for me would be to make sure the Acumat and not an old dark
screen is in there are you are going to need to shell out for one.
Though come to think of it those may be going for a song too.
I got a new screen before the digital crash and paid 200 bucks for it.
1,500 dollars was what I paid for my 60mm lens which I just got a few years
ago and so did a friend of mine who lives in Sussex UK. We compare notes on
it. I think he's coming to Rochester. I'm bringing my Hassy to shoot those
falls.
I have only two lens with me here in NY. The 60 and the 100.

If there is any more enabling buy than a start like this into Hasselblad
system then I don't know what it could be.

I don't buy for a minute this bit about full frame digital a match for
medium format.

Believe me when I develop my Pan f or Neopan Acros 100 I'm getting more than
the analog equivalent of 5000 pixels from end to end.
More like 50,000 or 500,000.
Or 5,000,000.
Bits of real useful information image wise.

Lock up the mirror and use a cable release and blow it up as big as a house
on  silver paper then use the best loupe you can find on the print and tell
me these is going to be less than a sensor 36mm across and 5000 pixels.

But I find the Hassy to be very usable hand held.
I shot many events with mine with a Norman 200c strobe.

You can use finders made for it before the Polaroid back which are much more
compact and well designed than after the Polaroid back.
And are made in Germany instead of Sweden.

The Nc-2 100 45 degree prism and the HC-1 Reflex  90 degree prism finder
Circa the 60s I think.  You can get each for less than a hundred bucks.
But learn to use the folding finder.
Its the best.

The 220 backs give you 24 on a roll.
So you can really crank like in 35mm.
12 on a roll makes every shot a big deal. Needlessly.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com