Subject: [Leica] Pushing Tri-X learning curve - my first attempt
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Sep 15 20:20:18 2007

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/alexz/events/
> <mailto:borger@pmrresearch.nl>
>
> I like shooting events from a side lines, being quest at weddings,
> spectator on concerts, etc...Used to push Press 800 to 1600 in my SLR
> days, so now, being in B&W "zone" naturaly reached fro my regular Tri-X
> and first time in my life pushed one to 1600 (2 stops) with further
> processing in HC-110 accordingly.
> Overall, IMHO, not bad at all, still need to refine the approach to
> restrain the contrast (in hghlights) a bit...
>
> Thanks for looking, Alex

You might try shooting my favorite film which is Neopan 1600 real speed in
just about any developer you'll get the speed on the box I'd recommend what
I use Xtol 1:3. Blow them up as big as you want.
If you shot those shots with this film it would be the difference between
day and night literally.

Some nice shots you've got there but looking under exposed by at least a
stop or two as that's what they really are. I'M not sure if  you can get
anything resembling a real push from HC-110 even at your high dilution and
noble attempt with limited intermittent agitation. You may not get blown out
highlights with over development but you're not apparently getting shadow
detail either. Which normally has to be exposed for. Meaning at something
resembling the real film speed. Which with Tri x with all but very few
developers 400.

Mark William Rabiner
rabinergroup.com