Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 35, Issue 482
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Sep 22 21:44:32 2007

> Stan and Gene,
> do you inform your customers every time, and in such a way that makes
> them think what they had before was somehow not up to scratch? I doubt it.

Both Rollei and Leica are companies which came out with classic camera
designs not after but before THE WAR.
THE WAR meaning WW1.
Bu the time WWII came around these guys were masters of the groove they were
in it was old hat to them.
Those designs were so excellent from the onset they they are still
recognizable today in their present classic cameras which they still make..
Having been tweaked through the decades not rethunk.
A Leica MP or M7 is still a Leica. A Rolleiflex Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Wide Rolleiflex 4.0 FW Tele Rolleiflex 4.0 FT is still a Rolleiflex.
Put them on the table right next to one made in 1930. Its the same thing.
Newer.

Then when camera insides became like transistor radios instead of Swiss
watches they had to stay in the ball game.
Then the insides became like computers.

Competing in the electronic and silicon era do you buy a first out
electronic camera from these masters of the mechanical long gone age?
Not if your work depends on it in my opinion.

They are just not going to get it right the first time.

And I'm slow in accepting that Nikon and Canon can.
Though it does seem that they can can.

Both Rollei and Leica both need to be given a break when it comes to the
high tech stuff.
Give them a few years to figure it out.
Don't get all excited when it seems they've obviously gotten themselves in
over their heads in some new leap.

You need to buy a radically new piece of gear first month it comes out?
Good luck!

Is a Leica M8 still a Leica?
If its now now it will be in another year. I think it pretty much is.

Rollei is up to amazing stuff working with Sinar and has risen back from the
dead this decade like magic. No longer being controlled by a demonic Korean
helicopter company. It was bought back by its workers. And is back competing
with a vengeance.

Hassy needs a miracle. But Rollei Sinar fills the gap.
Its just that its Hassy mount Zeiss glass which I happen to have.

And they make adaptors to put them on 35mm cameras but the whole thing looks
like a Klingon ship.
Front heavy.

Mark William Rabiner
rabinergroup.com