Subject: [Leica] R lens comparison
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Sep 23 19:29:12 2007

Jack, I recommend two books for you.
Erwin Puts Leica Lens Compendium is an excellent source of information. For
Leica fans, I think definitely worth owning the hard
copy. Erwin's site reports that there may be a new book in the future. The
current one was published by Hove, no longer in business,
but I think the book is still commonly available. You can download the most
current version of the book (sans pictures) from Erwin's
site with a donation requested. http://www.imx.nl/photo/site_map.html
The smaller "Leica Pocket Book" also from Hove has good information too,
including the MTF diagrams. I think that the 7th edition
from 2004 is the latest. One point that Erwin makes is that a number of more
modern M lenses share common design and performance
attributes with their R cousins. Amongst the macros and telephotos for the
R, some designs are apparently unsurpassed by any other
optics. People like Doug Herr and other owners and users of these here on
this list will be able to attest to that, I think.

Cheers
Hoppy