Subject: [Leica] 21mm Lens Questions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Sep 24 23:52:35 2007

> Frank,
>
> If you don't need the speed, go for the 4.5 Biogon.
>
> I had a long lust for the non-ASPH Elmarit after using a few borrowed
> ones.  I finally bought one from a fellow LUGer
> and never regretted it.
>
> Jerry
>

> red735i@earthlink.net wrote:
>> I have a want for a 21mm lens.  the Leica made Elmarits ( ASPH, or Non
>> ASPH)
>> are too expensive for me.  Ditto the Super Angulons
>>
>> I have a 21mm finder already ( from my 16 year old Contax RF days).
>>
>> I am asking about these 3 lenses......
>>
>> 21/4.5 ZM Zeiss Biogon
>> 21/2.8 ZM Zeiss Biogon
>> 21mm Color Skopar.  P ( M Mount )  or Non-P, LTM
>>
>> I am interested in relative optical quality, and to a lesser extent,
>> mechanical build quality and smoothness.
>>
>> For those with any relative experience to the Leica lenses, please
>> comment.
>>
>> Note.. I have read Erwin's review on the 21/2.8.... he says good things.
>> But
>> by comparison to the 4.5 ????
>>
>> Thanks
>> Frank
>>
>> __

Well the Leica 21 Elmarit 2.8 ASPH new cost 2,625 euros
The "Zeiss" 21 4.5 cost 999 euros.

But is this a real world Zeiss Leica comparison at all?

If in the real world you could get a real Zeiss lens for a third the price
of a Leica lens I'd be shooting with all Zeiss glass nothing Leica and so
would everybody else.
I'm very used to shooting Zeiss glass with my Hasselblads.
Each lens took me a year to save up for. And was well worth it.

What we're talking about here is Leica against Cosina not Leica against
Zeiss.

IF it was Zeiss against Leica for a third the price id not be caring what
Erwin or anybody else said about it.
Zeiss is Zeiss.

What do used Leica current glass go for? I bet cheap enough.

Mark William Rabiner
rabinergroup.com