Subject: [Leica] taking the Lightroom plunge
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Oct 6 17:58:53 2007

I've been experimenting with Lightroom for months and months, and reading
documentation about it, and watching the Lynda.com training videos, and then
experimenting some more.

Today I finally took the plunge and began the batch import (and conversion
DNG) of most of the personal photos that I have in digital form. That's
29107
images. It seems to be importing them at the rate of about 600 per hour, so
it's going to take a couple of days to finish. I have a couple thousand
images stuck inside iPhoto that I don't seem to be able to import directly
into Lightroom that I haven't tried to tackle yet.

I was very dubious about Lightroom when it first arrived because it seemed
want to suck my photos into a proprietary database from which I could not
extract them without using the Lightroom software itself. That is a lock-in
I'm unwilling to accept. I've slowly figured out how to get around each one
of my issues with Lightroom, and I've developed a workflow that will protect
me against catastrophic loss.

I'll keep you posted. And I still have a FireWire disk that has all of my
pictures as they existed pre-Lightroom; it is going into my safe deposit box.

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] taking the Lightroom plunge)