Subject: [Leica] OT Romantic Italian Repertoir
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Sat Oct 6 22:43:58 2007

In a message dated 10/6/2007 7:53:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

* That's  why I never really liked Pavarotti: to much cheap
pathos.--Philippe
With Pavarotti it's a matter at what point in his career --  and yours --
you
heard him sing Nessun Dorma. Also, he could hit those high notes and had an
identifiable voice.  Sure, he was a showman. But he left the audience
satisfied. He certainly had the  respect of most of the singers he
partnered. I wonder
whether any of his  children are talented and interested in a opera career?

I think Jussi Bjorling's son and  grandson were competent singers. Jussi's
father was also a singer.

Speaking of quality and Swedish singers, try to get Bergman's  production of
Mozart's Magic flute on DVD. It's in Swedish, but that makes no  difference.
The singing, acting, directing, sets, and camera work are over the  top.

Woody Allen, in his movie about SA insurgents, has the leader  of the
guerillas, when he conquers a town, command: "And from now on everybody
will speak
Swedish."
Maybe Woody had a point.

Bob