Subject: [Leica] IMG: From the Cigar Box, More Views from the Rockies
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed Oct 10 19:08:58 2007

Walt,

The shock waves that formed on early wing designs between Mach 0.8 and 1.2
could cause reversal, depending on the aircraft configuration.  Starting
around the end of WWII, transonic wind tunnels were designed and developed
over time to research this critical speed regime and find solutions to these
problems.  NASA used a slotted test section concept, while we used a
perforated test section, in each case provided with a surrounding plenum
chamber in which the pressure could be controlled to permit the walls to
partially absorb the bow shock and permit continuous operation through Mach
1.0.  Even then, models had to be very small in order to avoid blockage
problems. Now, this type of testing is quite routine, and most designers
have developed concepts to minimize these problems.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA