Subject: [Leica] Getting into Leica
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Oct 23 11:31:45 2007

Justin

Welcome here. To begin with a Leica rangefinder I'd recommend a M6 with 0.72
magnification, which has framelines from 28mm to 135mm, inbuilt meter, and
usually is very reliable. Used ones cost around $1k - $1.5k what I consider
as a very good price-performance ratio. The older M5 is quite bigger, and M4
and below have no inbuilt meter. If handheld metering is fine for you, any
well working user M2, M3 or M4 will also be a good choice. The M6TTL, M7 and
MP cost significantly more, but the M7's AE setting is of course a very
convenient feature.

As for the lens, I'd start with a 35 or 50 Summicron, depending your
preference.

Didier