Subject: [Leica] Re: Getting into Leica
From: benmarks2005 at gmail.com (Benjamin Marks)
Date: Tue Oct 23 12:23:37 2007

Justin:

Stephan Gandy has a dandy website http://www.cameraquest.com on which he
lists his picks and pans for a first Leica.

My own recommendations:

since you list very manual cameras in your message below, you must be
comfortable using a handheld meter.  If you're on a budget: go for an M3 or
M2 in user condition ($650-700) with a 50 Summicron from the 60's
($350-450).  I'm sure that others on the list will chime in with their own
recommendations.

I personally think the best value in rangefinders these days is an M6
classic (+/- $1,000).  If money were not an object, I'd get one of these and
a more modern lens of the focal length of your choice.  You are going to be
spending a lot of money on lenses.  For wide angles, have a look at the
current Zeiss offerings (less expensive than new Leica glass, but more
expensive than some used Leica glass).

It's going to be a very different experience than using the F5.  I just
picked up one of those at KEH -- amazing amount of camera for the money.
But not for the weak-of-forearm.

Welcome to rangefinder photography - let us know what you chose.

Ben Marks