Subject: [Leica] R8/DMR w/ Metz 54 MZ-3
From: lists at gilplant.com (J. Gilbert Plantinga)
Date: Mon Nov 12 04:29:57 2007

Fred, et al,

At Photo Expo I first spoke to the people at the Leica booth who took
my contact info and promised that someone from Leica Solms would get
back to me with an answer - no word yet.

Then I went across the aisle to the Metz booth where they referred me
back to someone at Leica who used to work for Metz and is now Leica
USA's '"expert" on the DMR - I wish I'd written down his name, I'm
terrible with names. His best guess was that along with the
adjustment to exposure (which incidentally does work, I find that I
no longer need to routinely set the camera to underexpose), this was
probably a deliberate, if confusing, change. BTW, the DMR was never
intended to work in TTL mode as the light is measured as reflected
back off the sensor, and the sensor surface is far more reflective
than film. Auto works just fine, though for critical work nothing
beats a good flash meter and Manual mode.

Gilbert