Subject: [Leica] [OT] Prius Environmental costs
From: pj at GoodPhotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Sat Nov 17 08:57:15 2007

This is where the nickel for the Prius' batteries come from...
http://www.worksongs.com/archives/2006/05/the_last_ditch.php
Admittedly, the 200 lbs of nickel per Prius amounts to a minority
percentage of the nickel that this plant processes, but it does come
from this source and this source hardly fits their preferred image of an
environmentally responsible caring company.
I don't recall seeing this photo in Toyota's glossy 'green' themed Prius
brochure.

I'd LOVE to be able to bike everywhere, but I live in rural Western
Maine. No buses, no taxis, no trains. Driving (carpooling when I can) is
the only option for reaching 'civilisation.'

I considered a Prius (and the host of other hybrids) but I bought my
2001 Kia Rio used for ~$3k. I've had it for nearly three years now
(driven it about 100K miles). With proper upkeep, it still gets almost
45MPG highway and I average 40MPG overall which is a little bit better
than it is rated. It has at least two years of economical life left in
it. I expect that I'll drive it to well over 250k miles donate this one
to charity and start over with another used sub-compact.

My Kia is just as comfortable and roomy as a Prius, almost as good MPG
as a Prius (in real life), is much easier and less costly to have
repaired than a Prius and even after the folks who buy Prius's get their
tax credits, my used Kia costs ~$18k less than a new Prius. That's about
6000 gallons of gas at current $3/gal. that I can afford in my Kia, that
I'd have to pay extra for with a Prius, better MPG included. Considering
that that is just about 240,000 miles of driving, my Kia will be ready
for scrap by the time I've used up this 'fuel credit.'

Kia isn't the only option either. There are LOTs of greener car choices
which aren't hybrids:
http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/Index.do
<http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/smcar-07.htm#sub>
Gives you the listings for a number of environmental impact factors.

If you simply want folks to think of you as 'green' minded, buy a Prius
(with Chinese backed credit)...It you want to truly do some good for the
planet (and your wallet), ride a bike when you can and buy a used
compact that gets great mileage while we wait for a better alternative
(fuel cell?...PVO diesel?) to be offered.

Carpe lumen,
Michael Eric Berube
GoodPhotos.com
AnotherMaine.com