Subject: [Leica] Cutting roll paper
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Dec 11 22:52:10 2007

Most rolled paper is cut with very sharp roller knives as the paper is
wound from the source roll to the take-up roll.

Paper that is cut into flat-sheets from rolls is run through a
"breaker" in which the paper travels over two sets of knife edges set
at 45 degrees across the paper to "break" the curl in the paper. After
the paper is broken it passes under a rotary knife that slices the
sheets into a close approximation of the correct size.

For very high-quality papers, especially those with two finished
edges, I'm uncertain about how the process works.

Flat sheets are then piled and very large hydraulic slicers can cut
through stacks of paper up to about 4" thick which is some serious
cutting. The knife slices down and across while a plate presses down
on the paper to keep it from shifting.

As a child all of these machines used to both fascinate and frighten
me. The large rotating knife was usually moving too fast to see but
when it slowed down it's complex curve (so it would actually slice the
paper) was obvious and frightening. The hydraulic flat-sheet cutter
was particularly un-nerving.

The least scary - but the one that was the most dangerous - was the
one that cut large rolls into smaller rolls. At least twice there were
serious accidents involving that machine.

That was in pre-OSHA days. Now these machines all have serious safety
devices that weren't imagined in the 50s.

Adam